Journal Production Editor
Requisition Number: 17-16788
Shift: Not Applicable
Job Description: The Journal Production Editor is responsible for managing the quality of the print and online content, which includes copyediting and composition. JPEs are the main point of contact for internal and external customers, provide feedback to vendors, manage the schedule from submission to print and online deliveries, and monitor page usage and other journal metrics.
***This position can be based in Baltimore, MD or Philadelphia, PA ***
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Manages and coordinates the preparation and tracking of all journal content for successful and timely distribution to print, online, and mobile device publication.
• Manages the editing and proof process, including copyediting, as necessary.
• Also responsible for the quality of all content deliverables, managing the posting of article prepub, data supplements and online journal and supplemental digital content.
• Manage production schedule of ipad publication, including file delivery/management to vendors, full file QC, functionality testing, and advertising review.
• Manage ipad support with advertising coordinators/sales, ad file testing and placement in apps.
• Manage ipad video and multi-media submissions, QC and compression as needed.
• Primary day-to-day communication with authors and editorial offices.
• Responsible for strict adherence to schedules.
• Manage and monitor production schedules, including advertising deadlines.
• Communicate status of content at all stages through delivery of content to print and posting of publish ahead of print content online, posting final content to electronic journal platform, and iPad app deliverables.
• Confirm that all material (manuscript and art) is complete, accurate, and meets our quality expectations.
• Manage the editing and coding of manuscript, including managing the proof correction process.
• Interact with and manage internal and external customers (publishers, editors, authors, societies) and vendors. Primary liaison with editor and editorial offices. Primary contact with the author for journals edited in-house.
• Resolve issues quickly and keep production process moving.
• Maintain and monitor additions to standard template designs for existing or new journal and product designs.
• Also, ensure that all changes or additions adhere to the Content Organization guidelines and keep production process moving.
• Identify the need for face-to-face customer meetings including planning and participation in the meetings.
• Manage the coding/posting of data supplements and static pages to journal web sites.
• Monitor page budgets, alterations and other production costs, and additional cost-saving initiatives.
• Coordinates preflighting of ads and provides feedback to advertisers for file correction.
• Responsible for performing quality review of print issues.
• Responsible for performing quality review of ipad issues.
• Responsible for tracking receipt of and managing processing and quality of ads.
• Manage advertising placement instructions; clarify contradictory orders.
• Organize insertion orders.
• Participates in training and rollout of new initiatives and procedures.
• Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications: Education: Bachelor’s degree in English, Production Design, or Journalism preferred, or equivalent experience required
1 - 2 years of previous experience in production, editing, and multi-media publishing, including online, apps, podcasts, and video (3 - 5 years preferred) including:
• Working knowledge of production support for content delivery on digital platforms
• Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook scheduling skills
• Strong organizational, communication, and follow-up skills
• Experience with managing vendor/freelance work
Travel Requirements: 5 - 10%, there may be some travel to other offices.
About Wolters Kluwer
Wolters Kluwer N.V. (AEX: WKL) is a global leader in information services and solutions for professionals in the health, tax and accounting, risk and compliance, finance and legal sectors. We help our customers make critical decisions every day by providing expert solutions that combine deep domain knowledge with specialized technology and services.
Wolters Kluwer reported 2016 annual revenues of €4.3 billion. The company, headquartered in Alphen aan den Rijn, the Netherlands, serves customers in over 180 countries, maintains operations in over 40 countries and employs 19,000 people worldwide.
Wolters Kluwer shares are listed on Euronext Amsterdam (WKL) and are included in the AEX and Euronext 100 indices.
For more information about our solutions and organization, visit ~~~, follow us on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Wolters Kluwer U. S. Corporation and all of its subsidiaries, divisions and customer/business units is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
For any assistance with your application for this job opening, please call the HR Source at ~~~ or email ~~~. TTY is also available at ~~~.